Version 1.4.7 ( April 18th, 2019 )
- FIX - PHP 7.2 deprecated function notice
Version 1.4.6 ( March 8th, 2019 )
- NEW - Option to disable the floating share icons on single blog posts. Option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Blog Post Single.
Version 1.4.5 ( December 17th, 2018 )
- NEW - Option to use a custom image resizer instead of WordPress image resizing functionality ( to avoid creation of too many images, the custom resizer only creates the needed versions ). Option to switch to the custom resizer in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Other ( option name is Image Resizing Functionality )
Version 1.4.4 ( December 5th, 2018 )
- TWEAK - CMB2 removed from the theme and is now being loaded as a plugin
Version 1.4.3 ( October 29th, 2018 )
- IMPROVEMENT - carousel and carousel-small are no longer displayed in the "tags listing" at the end of blog post content.
Version 1.4.2 ( October 19th, 2018 )
- IMPROVEMENT - Changed the mobile navigation system from <select> system to an HTML dropdown list
Version 1.4.1 ( October 8th, 2018 )
- NEW - Sticky sidebar. Can be enabled in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Other.
- IMPROVEMENT - Tags options for the carousel now support multiple tags. Separate multiple tags with a comma, example: tag-one,tag-two,tag-three
- FIX - Active menu items didn't have a special color applied to them
- FIX - If using a CDN for images, the "Big Carousel Height" option will not work because it uses a custom function to resize the image "on the fly" ( which WordPress can not do ). But it relies on the images being stored and served from the server. So, if using a CDN switch the option Big Carousel - Items Height Resizer to WordPress Native Functionality
Version 1.4.0 ( October 1st, 2018 )
- NEW - Options to change the tags that are used for the big and small carousel at the top ( options located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Header )
- NEW - Option to disable the "related posts" section for "Style A" listing ( option located in WP admin > Appearance > Other )
- FIX - Fixed issue with navigation and social sharing overlapping when navigation is set to be sticky
- FIX - PHP notice error for carousels when in the Customizer mode
Version 1.3.9 ( August 3rd, 2018 )
- FIX - Issue with Pinterest sharing ( was not showing a description for the pin )
Version 1.3.8 ( August 1st, 2018 )
- NEW - Option to make the featured posts carousels at the top autoplay ( options located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Header )
- NEW - Option to set the posts in the footer not to show posts older than X days ( option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Footer )
- NEW - Option to exclude tags on the homepage ( option located under "Homepage Options" when editing the page that serves as the front page )
- TWEAK - Footer posts no longer put sticky posts at the beginning
Version 1.3.7 ( July 16th, 2018 )
- NEW - Option to set where ( home, pages, posts, archive, search results show ) the big carousel shows ( WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Header)
- NEW - Option to set the height for the big carousel images ( WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Header)
- NEW - Option to change the amount of items per slide for the big carousel ( WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Header)
- NEW - Option to set where ( home, pages, posts, archive, search results show ) the small carousel shows ( WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Header)
- NEW - Option to set where ( home, pages, posts, archive, search results show ) the footer posts carousel shows ( WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Footer )
Version 1.3.6 ( July 9th, 2018 )
- NEW - Option to show advertisement banner at the top of the footer area ( option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Ad Banners )
Version 1.3.5 ( May 30th, 2018 )
- FIX - Added checkbox option to comment form for optional saving information
Version 1.3.4 ( April 25th, 2018 )
- NEW - Option to disable cropping of featured images ( WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Other ). Install and run the plugin Force Regenerate Thumbnails after changing this option so WordPress recreates the new image sizes.
- TWEAK - Removed creation of several image sizes that were not needed.
Version 1.3.3 ( April 23rd, 2018 )
- TWEAK - Removed the need to enter Instagram User ID for the Instagram footer section
- TWEAK - Removed featured image cropping for the main posts listing.
Version 1.3.2 ( March 27th, 2018 )
- NEW - The theme now supports OptinForms for the subscribe widget, which allows you to connect it to popular newsletter service providers such as MailChimp instead of the "self-hosted" system from MailPoet.
Version 1.3.1 ( March 24th, 2018 )
- NEW - Option to enable caption for the feature image on single blog post page. Option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Blog post single.
- FIX - Instagram API no longer supports a 320x320 image, only 150x150 is available so the footer area now uses that version and since it's quite small we've made it show 12 per row.
Version 1.3.0 ( January 24th, 2018 )
- NEW - Option to set the "small carousel" to only show on homepage ( by default shows on all pages ). Option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Other
- NEW - Option to enable mobile navigation for the primary menu. Option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Header
- TWEAK - The top bar navigation now supports submenus
- TWEAK - Class "about-author-id-NUM" added to the about author box ( after content on single blog post and on top of the author archives ) so developers can target the box for specific authors with CSS
Version 1.2.9 ( January 19th, 2018 )
- FIX - Instagram images functionality was broken due to changes in Instagram API
Version 1.2.8 ( January 15th, 2018 )
- NEW - Option to set Pinterest profile URL for authors ( displays in about author section below post )
- NEW - About author section below posts now shows the website URL ( from user/author options )
- NEW - Option to set an URL to which the image in about author widgets links to
- TWEAK - Avatar author sizes are now doubled and limited by CSS, so it's possible to increase the size with CSS now
- TWEAK - All the social links in about author section open in a new tab now
Version 1.2.7 ( January 3rd, 2018 )
- NEW - About author box added on author archives page
- TWEAK - Added social share count backup, so in case the system fails to get the social share count the last known count will be used instead of defaulting to 0
Version 1.2.6 ( December 13th, 2017 )
- NEW - Function for developers to output a list of posts ( posts grid ). Function is called the_essence_posts_list(), the following options/attributes are accepted: order, orderby, amount, columns, category. Usage is in this example https://gist.github.com/BobaWebDev/81788f5eb85d622533b0c533e1b936c0
- TWEAK - The caching system for social share counts has been improved to minimize the potential of hitting the API calls limit on high traffic websites.
- FIX - Issue with certain characters missing when sharing a post on twitter
Version 1.2.5 ( November 20th, 2017 )
- TWEAK - The related posts on the homepage now only show posts with a featured image
- FIX - Issue with the date on homepage related posts ( date shown was same as the main post )
Version 1.2.4 ( October 30th, 2017 )
- NEW - Social count numbers now include shares from LinkedIn
- NEW - Option to set the related posts to show posts ordered by date ( currently randomized ). Option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Blog Post Single.
- FIX - Issue with Twitter and LinkedIn sharing functionality when post titles have non a-z characters ( such as | )
Version 1.2.3 ( September 29th, 2017 )
- TWEAK - The subscribe widget is now compatible with MailPoet 3 ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/mailpoet/ ). And it still works fine with MailPoet 2 ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/wysija-newsletters/)
Version 1.2.2 ( September 16th, 2017 )
- NEW - Call to action widget added
- NEW - Option to have the previous/next post links ( on single blog post page ) be the post titles instead of the static labels. Option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Blog Post Single.
- NEW - Option to switch to using normal dates instead of "time ago". Option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Blog Post Listing.
- NEW - Option to disable the "first letter capitalization" ( the big letter before post excerpt/content ). Option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Blog Post Listing.
Version 1.2.1 ( September 14th, 2017 )
- NEW - Option to set a default blog post single layout ( content + sidebar or full width ). Option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Blog Post Single. All new posts will then use that as their layout unless specified otherwise in the Layout option for that specific post.
Version 1.2.0 ( September 8th, 2017 )
- FIX - Embedded videos stop playing when switching from landscape to portrait mode ( and vice versa )
- FIX - On tablets portrait mode the social icons on the left side of a post were not visible due to width limitations. Replaced by a fixed bottom sharing area ( like on phones )
- TWEAK - Added LinkedIn to author bio social elements
- TWEAK - Added LinkedIn as a social sharing option
Version 1.1.9 ( August 10th, 2017 )
- Theme options filters for developers to add new options
Version 1.1.8 ( July 6th, 2017 )
- NEW - Added "demo importer" to help those using the theme on a brand new website by adding some placeholder posts/pages/menus
Version 1.1.7 ( July 5th, 2017 )
- TWEAK - Improvements to the "welcome page" which shows after theme activation
Version 1.1.6 ( June 29th, 2017 )
- NEW - Option to switch to a masonry layout for the homepage ( option is called "Layout Type" and is located in "Homepage options" on the page that serves as homepage )
- FIX - Issue with numbers increment on Style D homepage posts
- TWEAK - Read more button added for Style D posts on homepage
Version 1.1.5 ( May 19th, 2017 )
- Option to change the style/layout for the search results page ( option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Other )
- Fixed issue with search form functionality when navigation menu is empty
Version 1.1.4 (May 2nd, 2017)
- Compatibility with the Facebook Comments plugin ( in the plugin's settings under "Display Settings" uncheck the checkbox with the label "Singular Posts" )
- Improved the side panel navigation to be more mobile friendly
- New pagination type option added called "Automatic Load More", which is similar to the "Load More" option but it automatically loads new post as the visitor scrolls down
- Fixed an issue with related posts functionality
Version 1.1.3 (January 3rd, 2017)
- NEW - Dashboard updates ( as of next version you will be able to update the theme directly from the WordPress dashboard )
- FIX - Minor fixes
Version 1.1.1 (November 15th, 2016)
- Fix - Issue with relevancy of the related posts section on blog post single page
Version 1.1.0 (October 27th, 2016)
- New - Option to have previous/next buttons as posts pagination. Option located in WP Admin > Appearance > Customize > Other.
- New - Option to only show one category in the posts listings ( homepage, archives... ). Option located in WP admin > Appearance > Customize > Other.
Version 1.0.9 (October 24th, 2016)
- New - Option to change the pagination type ( "AJAX load more" and "classic numbered" ). Option located in WP Admin > Appearance > Customize > Other.
Version 1.0.8 (October 20th, 2016)
- New - Option to switch to a text logo ( WP admin > Appearance > Customize > General )
- New - The theme is now retina ready
- New - Additional options ( order, order by, post types, category, tags ) for the Posts and Posts Alternate widgets.
- Tweak - The side panel logo can now be disabled, if there is no image set it will not show up
- Fix - Issue with missing srcset on post thumbnails due to usage of a custom image resizing script, the theme now uses default WordPress features for creating custom image sizes
- Fix - Issue with instagram widget not immediately responding to changes to the "Amount" option
- Fix - Issue with lack of bottom margin on the "Post Alternate" widget
- Fix - Issue with side panel widgets being hidden if taller than the window
- Fix - Issue with the has_thumbnail check in related posts
- Important - Due to the switch to native WordPress image resizing functionality which does not resize images "on the fly" ( only on upload ) you need to install and run a plugin called Regenerate Thumbnails. You'll see a notification asking you to install it when you update the theme.
Version 1.0.6 (August 23rd, 2016)
- Added option to disable different meta elements in the blog posts listing
- Fixed issue with Facebook share count
Version 1.0.5 (August 11th, 2016)
- Share counts now include Google+ as well
- Fixed missing social icon for Google+ in the social widget
- Fixed issue with dropcap on blog posts content not working in some cases
- Fixed issue with wrong post author displayed in the related posts in the posts listing
- Fixed issue with the same post being shown in the related posts on the single blog post page
- Fixed issue with no related posts being shown ( on the posts listing ) if there is only one related
- Fixed Twitter share count, activation needed. Check the theme documentation Other -> Twitter Share Count
- Fixed issue with promo box background image position ( centered now )
- Fixed issue with localization ( for translation ) of the "1 month ago" string to allow the "1 monht" to be shown before or after the "ago" ( for different languages )
Version 1.0.4 (July 27th, 2016)
- Option to turn on sticky navigation ( located in Customizer > Other )
- Options for three more promo boxes added for the homepage ( located in Customizer > Home Promo Boxes )
- Added page template to be used for styling elements inside of blog post or page content ( more info below )
Version 1.0.3 (July 23rd, 2016)
- Improved documentation ( http://meridianthemes-demo.net/docs/the-essence/ )
- Share counter improved for shares over 1000 ( 1K, 1.2K, 5K, 10K... )
- Compatibility with Max Mega Menu plugin. When choosing a "Theme" for the mega menu choose "The Essence"
- Added option to choose which categories to display in the footer posts ( Customizer > Footer )
- Added options to choose how to order and by what to order the footer posts ( Customizer > Footer )
- Added option to disable "about author" section on single blog post page ( Customizer > Blog Post Single )
- Added option to disable "related posts" section on single blog post page ( Customizer > Blog Post Single )
- Added option to choose style for archive pages. All the same styles available as for the homepage. ( Customizer > Other )
- Added option to separately disable elements in the post meta ( just below the title ) on single blog post page ( Customizer > Blog Post Single )
- Added option to disable the "side panel" ( Customizer > Other )
- Fixed issue with the amount option for footer posts not working properly
Version 1.0.2 (July 16th, 2016)
- New page template ( Full Width Content ) added for creating pages without a sidebar
- Fixed issues with layout of WooCommerce pages
Version 1.0.1 (July 9th, 2016)
- Post layout option added ( to choose between "content + sidebar" and "full content" )
- Issue in Firefox with post titles in the small carousel at the top ( not displayed if short )
- Automatic vertical centering of the post titles in the small carousel at the top
- Fixed Instagram widget ( you will see the "Access Token" option with a link where to acquire it )